Dental Exams & Cleanings in Renton, WA
Regular dental cleanings keep your teeth and gums healthy. Call us today at 425-226-6227 to schedule your next dental exam.
Scheduling a dental visit once every six months is critical to ensure good oral hygiene. At 4th & Morris Dentistry, we provide you with a convenient and pleasant experience that promotes your oral health.
If you live in Renton, WA, and need a dental check-up and cleaning, schedule an appointment with us today.
The Importance of Dental Exams & Cleanings
Proper dental hygiene is crucial to maintaining your general health. Your mouth is the gateway to your digestive and respiratory tracts, and dental health issues, such as periodontitis, can result in complications in other parts of the body, including pneumonia and endocarditis.
When oral bacteria mix with food particle remnants, they form plaque, a sticky biofilm of living microbes covering your teeth. If left untreated, plaque will harden into a yellow substance called tartar along your gum line. The bacteria in plaque also convert the sugars and carbs in your diet into acid, which damages tooth enamel and roots, causing gum disease and tooth decay.
Daily brushing, flossing, and rinsing go a long way to remove plaque and tartar. However, your home routine is not sufficient to remove plaque and tartar between teeth and along the gum line. You also need a regular professional dental cleaning to eliminate your risk of periodontal disease and gingivitis.
At 4th & Morris Dentistry, we recommend scheduling a dental cleaning and examination at least once every six months.
What Does a Dental Exam Include?
Regular dental examinations are essential in maintaining good dental health. When you schedule a dental exam and cleaning at 4th and Morris Dentistry, we’ll do the following:
- Check your teeth for cavities and other signs of tooth decay
- Inspect your gums and check for signs of gum disease, or periodontitis
- Examine your mouth, throat, and neck to check for sores, white patches, and lumps indicating oral cancer
- Assess the condition and stability of fillings
If necessary, we’ll also take an x-ray, which can show bone loss or obscured dental structures.
What to Expect During a Teeth Cleaning
After your dental examination, we start the teeth cleaning procedure, which consists of the following:
- Scaling: This stage of the procedure involves removing plaque and tartar between teeth and along the gum line.
- Polishing: After scraping the tartar from your teeth, we polish your teeth and remove yellowing using a specialized tool and prophylaxis paste. This phase may also include flossing.
- Fluoride: The last step is a fluoride application to remineralize your tooth enamel and prevent cavities.
If you suffer from dental sensitivity or haven’t had a dental cleaning within the past 12 months, we’ll take additional steps to manage any pain or discomfort during the procedure.
At 4th & Morris Dentistry, we provide patients of all ages with general and preventative dental care in a comfortable, friendly environment. Call us today at 425-226-6227 to schedule dental exams and cleanings in Renton, WA.